Thursday, July 19, 2012

Living in contradiction


I met this girl in a fresh & healthy lunch place.  She saw me, or rather HEARD us, in the shop.  It's a funny thing about English speakers. We are LOUD.  In a restaurant full of people chatting away quietly with their dates where the tables are 2 inches apart, you will hear the entirety of the conversation of the English tourists sitting on the opposite side of the room.  The first time I noticed this was in a Belgian tram car.  My dad, stepmom and I entered at the back. I had a question so I walked up to the driver (through the two tram cars).  As I turned to walk back, I could hear my stepmom, as if she were sititng right next to me, talking to my dad about the Belgian frites.
In her defense she comes from a family of 9.

For my girlfriends though, we have no excuse.  We get together and it is the breath of fresh, loud, laughing air that echoes over whatever place we are in. We tend to visit the same places because they know us and keep accepting our money so our loudness doesn't seem to be that big of a problem. 
 
French is not a language to yell in
French is a language to whisper in the ear, or wax poetic in
French negotiation is a dance

English is a language to do business in,
to write clear and concise contracts in
to lay it all out on the table.  

Who doesn't want both?  Mondays for business and Wednesdays for 3 hour lunches on the patio with wine and dessert?


Just maybe less French on administration days. 

  

No comments: