Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Ballet


I never thought I would love the ballet or the opera as much as I did when I was a kid.

When I was 8, I used to sit in my mom's room staring mesmerized at PBS replaying opera for hours. My mother took me to Madame Butterfly and I fell asleep just before the most exciting part (she kills herself). And that was the end of my love for opera.
When I was in high school, we got underpriced tickets and extra credit for going to the opera. We went to see Hamlet. I was bored to tears. (sidenote: I don't think Hamlet should ever be made into an opera).

And then this year we went to the opera. I was a bit worried, but I figured I could at least stare at the architecture of the famous Opera Garnier of Paris if I started feeling the urge to scratch my eyes out. But I didn't and it was alright. In fact, I was absolutely fascinated with the musicians and the voices (ignoring the comedy of the piece and the comedy of the modernized costumes). And tonight it was the same with the ballet at the Bastille. The music was lovely, LOVELY. And those tight bums were so tight in their tights.

And those ballerinas so beautiful and strong and amazing. You've got to feel for the lead girl. On her TOES ALL NIGHT long, and keeping her body stone hard while she gets twirled around like a music box 30 times a night. I hope she gets massages for free. Seriously.

No comments: