Monday, February 7, 2011

A Monday morning

Yesterday we went to walking in the park and then to have a quick drink (impromptu date). And finally, B and I went to see The King’s Speech (which was great, by the way, I highly recommend it). And somehow I lost my brand new bracelet from R who just brought it back from her travels for me the night before.

So today… I retraced all of our steps from last night. This, might I add, is a fools errand because if it dropped on the street the chances of anything shiny or anything of any value at all staying on the street is 0. It’s like the chances of B going more than 2 days without cheese or baguette. Hilariously impossible. Not only because, who wouldn’t pick up something shiny left on the ground, but because there are people trying to survive. Like people who sit on the sidewalks with handwritten signs (7 in my 45 min walk this morning). And people who sift through the trash every night and even during the day for anything sellable or edible. It took me a while to figure out why in the morning, the trash set out the night before would be literally spread out around the can. In the beginning I thought it was the neighborhood riffraff. And then one morning I left early for work and I saw people, at every trash. But I go on with my search anyway because I can’t just sit back and do nothing and I’m really heartsick about losing the gift.

I go to each location with no luck. I pass the opera house, gleaming in the morning sunlight. The kind of sun I haven’t seen in 6 months.

And finally having finished my task, I head to the gym to do my workout. And no I’m sorry to say but I have yet to turn into Sydney Bristow from Alias. I can’t do things alone. I’m not sure why.

But I am still going.

After the gym I decide to walk back home and am reminded it is Monday because 85% of the shops are closed. UGH. And I think – as if France does this only to piss ME off – FRANCE, WHY? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING SO DIFFICULT?!

Because it’s about me! Of course, it is all about me.

No comments: